Friday, May 8, 2009

I feel like I've been blogging about a lot of things that bother me lately, so on the way to work this morning I decided to write about something that makes me happy.


Old School Hip Hop. I love me the hippity-hoppity. I was lucky enough growing up that my mom would not only let me listen to it, but she'd sing along with me- even if it was Eminem. (There is nothing like a middle aged woman singing about Eminem throwing his baby's mama in a lake. My mom rocks.)

One time when I was young I was listening to a mixed tape of songs I had recorded of the radio on my Walkman. The song was Salt-n-Peppa's Push It, and when my neighbor grabbed my headphones to find out what I was listening to I thought I was going to get in trouble for listening to a nasty song. She just sang along.

I didn't really know what Cake Boy was about either, but Innocent M and I sure did get down to that Sir Mix-A-Lot jam. (If you're not sure what a Cake Boy is, check it HERE. )

And what about Tigra and Bunny? They liked the Cars That Go Boom. I didn't even know what the name of their "group" was until I looked it up just now. Innocent M and I only knew the one little part of the song, but I'm sure we thought we were bad ass (BAMF if you will) singing that with our florescent clothes and pegged pants.

Oh, and I Like Big Butts and I cannot lie. Why want to?

5 comments:

Winter said...

Hah, you're aweome. Can't say I'm a great big fan of hiphop.... except for Eminem. For some god-only-knows reason, I can't help singing along to Eminem. I was pleased to find out James feels the same way and now we rock out like wanna-be gangsters when we're in the car. Word yo.

And hey, no worries about complaining in your blog. that's what blogs are for -give us a place to vent so we don't end up punching someone at work, right?!

Anonymous said...

You're rad.
:-)

jb said...

I just came over from Jay's site and I love your blog....awesome your a BAMF and you rock. I love the post with the grocery cart. I though waking up on a park bench with just my panties and bra after a night out was funny but a bullet ride in a grocery cart with a drunk GF pushing you is really funny.

If you'd like please drop in on my musings and rants, I think you'll enjoy yourself.

Cheers
JB

Megan said...

I actually have The Cars That Go Boom on my iPod along with tons of old school, Paula Abdul and Bobby Brown! I am still living in the early 90's. Lyssie loves old school hip hop too! Auntie and I have taught her well :)

Jesslyn said...

Winter- why does the scene in Office Space where the skinny white guy jamming to rap in his car pop into my head?

JB- Welcome! I'll be sure to check out your blog. =)

Meg- first, she's your spawn, so she *has to* love early 90s music, second- all the cool kids (like her mom and Auntie) are doing it- why wouldn't she?