I’d love to help you fix your broken phone. Except not only is it not broken, but it’s all in Spanish. I can still figure it out- because it’s not a smart phone, and I did graduate college. I can call in. I can call out. Problem? Nope. I’m thinking it’s user error.
Oh- the next day you still can’t operate it? Um…The thing about a keypad lock- besides it being functional- is that since it’s not a smart phone it gives you instructions on how to unlock the keypad. (Menu-*). Sure, the instructions are in Spanish- you know, the language you put it on and natively speak, but even with my crappy Spanish I figured out the little abbreviated foreign words.
If you put the phone back in English I’m sure I can quickly take your keypad lock off for you so you don’t keep bringing it in to me saying it’s broken. Or you can go in and take the keypad lock off yourself. Or- I know! - push "menu" then "*" before you try and use it next time. I am a problem solver.
And this is me, putting that degree to good use.
2 comments:
I think it's wonderful that you're willing to help those less technologically savvy than you are. Whenever I get frustrated about what I think of as "idiots" or people who just slow down my streamlined world, I try to remember that I've been very lucky to have been given the opportunities and mental acuity that I have. Helps keep things in perspective for me and keeps me humble. We should all be more humble.
I'm sure that man very much appreciated your help and not treating him like a luddite, even if it was annoying and took a few seconds out of your day. :-)
Sorry Anonymous, I disagree. I highly doubt that the man appreciated the help, the fact that he keeps coming back over and over to make her take care of it shows his lack of respect and unwillingness to actually learn something for himself. It's one thing to not understand something until someone shows you. But if you keep not getting it after that, you're both an idiot and rude.
Maybe this comment is a little bitchy. I apologize. Need to work on keeping quiet my frustration with stupid people, as I just got in trouble with my boss yesterday for too frequently getting off the phone with someone and ranting about their stupidity. Hooray for blogging.
Post a Comment