Behold the glory of taffeta and velvet. If only you could get a good look at our hair. This was our lovely A Capella Choir outfits. It was conservative and demure..it's only too bad we weren't.
I was in some form of choir or another all through Jr High and High School. There were great auditions, themed concerts, and a class which involved surfing on ironing boards and thinking I was an all star drummer. I spent two years going to a "zero period"- which anybody who knows how I am with mornings will understand.
I may be biased, but I've yet to hear a composition of The National Anthem that rivals the one a small group of us had perfected with five part harmony. We even sang at Disneyland, on stage and everything. Yeah, we were cool.
I think the best memory I have from it all though, is each time we went to a convalescent home to sing. It's great to hold a concert and have all your friends and family come out and support you, but that still does not match the feeling some of those places brought me: A man who knows none of the singers but is on the edge of his seat with his hands clasped at his chest. Random old ladies shaking your hand and thanking you for making the hall sound like heaven. Walking to go sing to a man who cannot leave is bed, and a lady who calls you Susan when your name is Kim. Thankful. They were all so thankful and made us feel so special because we thought they were worth it.
And yeah, now I know how to ironing board surf. It is, after all, what all the cool second sopranos would do.

No comments:
Post a Comment